Saturday 7 July 2012

Oriental Lantern


I can’t wait to show my 5-year-old son this paper lantern.  A while ago we saw them made on a video of a 60s children’s show and we had a craze for making them. The house was covered with lanterns. This one is a little more sophisticated ( I hope!).

I started with a neutral coloured paper with a crackle pattern and I stamped it with an oriental text stamp (Oyster Stamps). I coloured the back of the paper with Barn Door distress ink and slapped some on the front. I stamped two women ( Non Sequitur) – one I stamped twice (for the join). I partially coloured them in with red and gold.

Then I took a photo of my hard work as I suspected I might wreck it when I tried to make it into a lantern!

So…I daringly took scissors to my work and made a lantern.  I added a handle made from Mitzuhiki cord and oriental charms at the bottom.

I made this project for the Oriental challenge at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fantastic lantern ! Absolutely stunning ! Thanks for joining us at FSC. Sue C x

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi M...Another wonderful project! It has turned out perfectly. I remember making lanterns but nothing even close to this! I think you need to work out where to hang it (feng sui it?). Thanks for joining us in our Oriental challenge at Fashionable Stamping Challenges
Dot x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's breathtaking, a wonderful piece of art. Thanks for joining us at FSC this fortnight.

Netty said...

Loving your little lantern. Annette x

Mrs.B said...

What a great idea for our Oriental theme!
As Dot said, I remember making them too, but never as good as this.
Thanks for joining us at FSC.
Avril x

Shirl said...

How unique is this Marina it fits our challenge perfectly, love it.

Thank you for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

Hugs Shirley x x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Oh wooow, what a fantastic project! So creative - your lantern is gorgeous :)). Thank you so much for joining us at the Fashionable Stamping Challenges with this fantastic project!

Best wishes, Asia x
Ps. I have a great Mystery Summer Treat Candy on my blog :))